At HEC Paris, mvlti svnt vocati, pavci vero electi!

Monday, October 08, 2007

Shining in the shadow!

There are times in life when I really am awed by the greatness of other people's performance. And today, I had such an experience! If you remember, I mentioned in one of my earlier blogs that we had been selected to present to the CEO and CFO of Thomson S.A. Well, the day was today and we have come out with flying colours, and more! On Friday last week, we met our professors for one last guidance to improve our presentation as 'strategy consultants', and they told us to make a few changes here and there, tell a story and engage the audience. Just like Steve Jobs! And, we were wondering how...we ain't no Steve Jobs! Nonetheless, we agreed to the changes and practised hard. We had also dropped from three presenters to two presenters to control the flow and we timed our portions accurately.

We were second to present today and one of the esteemed guests had a lot of questions for the first group...questions that made us eye each other in fear (this is the closest word I can find though it wasn't fear as such) and amazement! During the presentation, I sent a special email to my co-presenter to say they must be testing to see how we can perform under pressure and that we should stay clam, organised and focus on the task in hand. We agreed.

I opened the presentation and introduced my fellow team members who worked hard to get the presentation done. I did my part, the first half, and I thought I did it well as I did not get too many questions from the guests. But, when I handed over to my colleague for her to present, everything changed. Out of nowhere, my colleague transformed into this semi-Steve Jobs personality and took over with a calm voice weaving a wonderful story of our strategy of the Thomson group. I was amazed and so was everyone else in the class. At the end, we came out shining, shining in the shadow of our colleague who took the game to a whole new level. Oh, am I pleased to be part of this TEAM!

We have been invited for breakfast with the CEO who unfortunately could not come today as a bird hit the plane he was on during take-off in LA and he got severely delayed. But, we are seeing him, and I am told the HR director, in November. Can't wait! :-) Bonne nuit!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 



free tracking