At HEC Paris, mvlti svnt vocati, pavci vero electi!

Sunday, October 28, 2007

Uncertainty looms over my head but who cares!

Exactly, who cares? I am going on a break anyway! The uncertainty is about what I am going to do during PP2. Since I seem to be still exploring for an appropriate project with my sponsoring company, I don't have anything for certain. So, I brought out my dust-covered book of business cards from its hiding place amongst a pile of other 'when I was famous' items in the garage. And, what a pleasure it was to trawl through the cards, going back in time remembering the faces behind the names on the cards and reading where and how I got them. See, in order not to forget someone and also to use as a frame of reference, I write the occasion during which a card was collected on its back. So, shuffling through my cards, my mind wandered to the days when I was holding my nerves at the prospect of introducing myself to the heavyweights of British business, to the time when I was walking down the red carpet at the Hilton London Hyde Park Hotel wining and dining with the famous and the powerful, and then the other event at The Palace Hotel in Manchester photographing with a very special guest. And then, there was the time when, at Buckingham Palace, I bumped into yet more rich and famous, and powerful, personalities that led to some very interesting developments in my own career. Well, what a life...what a life I have had in such a short period. Short so far because, by the time I retire, it's going to be 75! :-)

Wind the tape forward... and here I am not knowing what to do next! But, it isn't and won't be the only time. I remember the days when, as a confident young lad of 17, I headed to a university city only to be rejected by every one of the colleges I applied to. Not because I had poor marks but because I had a few essential documents missing - these documents were in the post going around the country! It is good to be in positions like this as it makes you humble, and makes you realise that hard work and luck go hand in hand or one feeds the other. All colleges rejected except one, the best one (at least in that year, it was)! So, I interviewed with them and, voila, I was in! And, before I graduated, I had even served as the Chancellor of the Exchequer of the Students' Union! Being rejected by the others truly was a blessing in disguise. So, am I worried now? Hell no! But, I sure do want to be thinking about other things when I am wallpapering and renovating our apartment. For those interested, I have just spent a full weekend putting up 10 rolls of wallpaper!

Changing subjects, we have a long weekend coming up and we are going to use the opportunity to go and meet a couple we met whilst honeymooning in Martinique many years ago. It would be nice to catch up with them and see how their child is growing up. And, we are heading further south to Millau. Why Millau? Because, it is where the world's tallest bridge is; its pillars are taller than Eiffel Tower!

The bridge in the sky!

Coming back to the book of contacts, I have sent a few SOS messages. A few bounced but others did not so let's hope I have a project soon! What is worth having is worth waiting for! ;-)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 



free tracking